Art in America Best Design Practices
Advertisements and content are partners in the Art in America experience. Art in America delivers editorial excellence and stunning, decisive visuals. Consistency in aesthetic appeals to our global, art savvy readership. Implementing the following features will enable your advertisement stronger placement options.
1. Keep ads simple
1 image, 1 font, 1 text color
2. Design to center or offer L and R versions for placement flexibility
Right Hand Pages are limited, clean left page ad designs are far more likely to be chosen for better RHP adjacencies.
3. Text should be clear and short
Take a concise approach wit plain language and consistent theme.
Text only ads are very helpful to us and increase the likelihood of more forward placement.
Please refer to the Print Technical Specs for specific measurements and detailed information regarding printed advertisements.
PRINT PRODUCTION SPECIFICATIONS
DIMENSIONS (W” X H”)
Bleed: 9.25’’ x 11.125”
Page trim: 9’’ x 10.875”
Live Area: 8’’ x 9.875”
Materials may be sent via email if under 10MB. Files larger than 10MB can be sent via free services such as
WeTransfer [https://www.wetransfer.com/] or
Dropbox [https://www. dropbox.com/].
• Printed web offset
• Perfect Bound
• Publication Trim 9’’ x 10.875’’
• Ads should be in PDF/X-1A format
• Four-color ads must be formatted in CMYK
• Black and white ads must be set to Gray scale
• No RGB, LAB, or embedded (ICC) color proﬁles
• Maximum ink density is 300%
• DPI: 300 and Line Screen:133
• Minimum type size is 6 pts
• Knockout white type should be at least 7 pts
• Rich Black: 50% C; 40% M; 30% Y; 100% K
• Spread Ads must be composed of separate full-page ﬁles
• Full page ﬁles should include bleed and trim marks
• Provide register marks at top, bottom, and sides
• Live matter for full page ads, such as, type, logos, or essential details should be .5” from the trim, .625” from bleed on all sides.
• Document Size: Dimensions of supplied PDF ﬁle must reﬂect bleed size, not the trim size
• Fractional ads do not bleed and should be sized exactly to specs provided in diagrams.
• Fractional ads with white or light background must include bounding rule exactly to the specs.
• Color ﬁles should be supplied with a SWOP proof with color bars to be used at the printer for press guidance. Clients can decline submitting a proof in writing.
• Laser proofs and color copy laser proofs CANNOT be used ad color proofs.
• When supplying non-ﬁnalized materials: Photographs must have a sharp focus, high contrast. Copy should be clearly submitted and be proofread in advance. Art ﬁles must be created in either Photoshop or Illustrator and saved as an EPS, JPEG, or TIFF.
• Materials not meeting these speciﬁcations will incur production charges that will be billed at commercial rates.
• Proofs: The only acceptable SWOP proofs are a Kodak, Epson, Fuji, or Matchprint. Art in America can provide a color proof of your advertisement for an additional fee of $80 per page. A SWOP proof pulled by Art in America will be sent directly to press for color guidance. A SWOP proof pulled by Art in America will only be shown to client upon request, provided that the ad was submitted on or before the published advertising material due deadline. Art in America is not responsible for reproduction if the client is not able to sign off on the proof. Art in America is not responsible for variance between the digital ﬁle and any proof not listed above.
• If the above requirements are not met, Art in America cannot guarantee reproduction of the advisement. All claims for errors in advertising must be submitted in writing within seven days of publication.
• Material will be destroyed after 6 months unless written instructions to the contrary are received within one month of publication.